Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Scenery

Future Artist...Hopefully Member RainingSilver64's Avatar

Default Scenery

I like to draw manga and most of the people I draw end up...just kind of...on the paper... I'd like to add some scenery behind them or something but...not exactly one of my specialties...I have trouble with trees, rivers, grass...it makes me mad that I have trouble even with the simplest of things... any suggestions or drawing tips?

By Scenery, I assume you specifically mean landscapes. I'd suggest you draw your landscapes independently of anything your draw in the foreground, and use any image editing programme to layer your foreground with your background.

As for more specific help on these issue, I wouldn't know where to start as I have not seen any of your drawings.

You can go to my album to see some of my pictures. I have a few up... This one's a good example...
    Attached Images
    Last edited by RainingSilver64; March 7th, 2009 at 08:35 pm.

Death's Deceiver... Member Silverblossom's Avatar
    The world of dimensions where you can travel anywhere, anytime, to anything!

The things further away have to be lighter and the things closer have to be darker.
    Grass? Just shade in green and you'll get it!Don't forget to do clumps here and there!
    Trees... draw the trunk and then shade in the leaves with different colours and shades.
    Rivers, rivers, rivers,rivers... as they get further into the distance thin them out, make them smaller and make them sparkle!
    Hmmm Hmmm Hmmm Hmmm Hmmm Hmmm Hmmm...
    L did you know Gods of Death love apples?

Quote Originally Posted by Silverblossom View Post
    The things further away have to be lighter and the things closer have to be darker.
    Grass? Just shade in green and you'll get it!Don't forget to do clumps here and there!
    Trees... draw the trunk and then shade in the leaves with different colours and shades.
    Rivers, rivers, rivers,rivers... as they get further into the distance thin them out, make them smaller and make them sparkle!
    Hmmm Hmmm Hmmm Hmmm Hmmm Hmmm Hmmm...
    -__-...what if you're just sketching? You know, no color?

Constantly moving with Ichigo Kurosaki from Karakura town to the Sereitei in the Soul Society! ^_^

You know, I think I'm pretty okay at drawing anime people 'n stuff, but I just can't draw scenery either! I have a lot of trouble with trees and grass and water!

Quote Originally Posted by katluvr33 View Post
    You know, I think I'm pretty okay at drawing anime people 'n stuff, but I just can't draw scenery either! I have a lot of trouble with trees and grass and water!
    Good to know I'm not alone on this one.

Just another gamer girl Member chelseamay95's Avatar

drawing tree's can be a bit diffecult depending on how you draw them some people only draw the branchs and colour the leaves which gives it more sense of reality

I have absolutely no idea how to properly do landscape on paper. What I do digitally is usually just taking dabs of colors and make really rough lines for stuff, then refine it from there by adding thinner lines, high opacity lines, highlights, shadows and... more blobs of color... I can't do landscape either, really.
    ~Mango's Transcription Schedule~
    You can find the scores on my deviantART page. If they are not there, please PM me here or note me on deviantART for it.
    Redistribution allowed, but please, credit of transcription goes to me.

Hm..., well, for now I have to keep practicing...a lot of practicing...Does anyone know how to do black and white/grayscale scenery drawings? Like...pencil sketches?...or something like that...

...Well, I'm working on some new stuff and am adding scenery(natural and man-made), and need help with it, when I suddenly remembered this thread . So rather than technique, I'm more of a visual learner, so if there are people out there that are good at drawing any type of scenery from any angle(realistic or animated), please post her . What I'd like to see the most of though, are sketch/pencil drawings, please.

Well, I took a shu miao (chinese pencil drawings, though there's nothing chinese to it) class once, but I don't have a scanner, and my camera sucks, so...

One of the things you need to know is to add layering - first draw the basics for a landscape (e.g. draw some triangles for mountains, and nothing for grass), and then shade them in, lightly with a light B pencil. Then do the details with HB or H's. That was sorta off-topic, but (meh)

I'm sure you'll find something if you search t3h intarw3bs

:/ True, but I'm looking for sketches of scenery, but most people use paints and stuff...when you say layering, are you talking about for the computer or for actual sketching? Because I don't really "layer" when I draw with pencil...>< Maybe I should?

Ichigos Sand Bag Member HopelessComposer's Avatar
    THE GREAT UNITED STATES OF AMERICA! YEAAAAH!!!

Eh, I actually did a few pencil scenery drawings awhile back. They're not really finished pieces, since they were for learning, but I can post them here if you want to check them out.
    Really, though, the best way to learn to draw something is to go outside and draw it. If you want to learn to draw scenery, where are your scenery drawings? ;P

And drawing from real, 3d objects is gonna be better for your drawing brain than copying other people's sketches any day. So you should really get outside before everything freezes. It's hard to draw when your fingers are numb, hahah!

Also, I've never used anything more than a mechanical pencil for my stuff. If you're going to try something photorealistic or anything like that, you'll probably need a few different pencils like Mushy said, but I don't think you're going to need to worry about what sort of pencil's you're using for awhile.
    I mean, you can definitely get a good value range with just a regular old mechanical pencil: http://fc07.deviantart.com/fs47/f/20...ssComposer.png

I forget what the formula for art is, but I think it's something like...95% skill and 5% what you're using? So until you're in the top 5% of the artists in the world, don't worry about what kind of pencils you're using? That's how I feel about it, anyway. XP
    Last edited by HopelessComposer; October 24th, 2009 at 10:43 pm.

>< I'd love to go outside and draw some scenery(which I have kind of done in the summer) but there's not much to draw in my neighborhood. And where there is something to draw(during the summer), it's usually covered by nature's favorite "anti-human" products such as geese waste, mosquitoes, bees, and other insects that are repellent-resistant that love to climb into your clothes, suck your blood, and leave wonderfully allergic itchy reactions. So if I ever get the chance, I'll take a picture and run like there's no tomorrow and hopefully survive long enough to practice some scenery. But until then, I'll look forward to practicing stuff that other people post on this thread for me .

Thread Information