Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Strings Arranger Member Equisix's Avatar

Default Offering Garritan Personal Orchestra Services

Are you using a free tool to compose/arrange/transcribe music?
    Do you want a realistic sounding audio file of the piece without paying for tools or real players?
    Send to me a .mus or .mid and I'll send u a mp3 or wav recording. :)

Sorry for being a little skeptical, but what are your methods for achieving this? I hope you're not using Finale for this; DAW is more appropriate for this application. I also hope you're not simply replacing the channels or tracks with GPO and then calling it a day. I tried this once and it didn't sound too good. To improve it, all of this had to be done inside a DAW because a DAW provides more control and flexibility over your music. I had to change the note velocities and make other adjustments to the arrangement (extremely time-consuming). Then there's the mastering part Be aware that some people might unknowingly play a note that's outside the instruments' pitch range. GPO plays only within the instruments' range.

Nope i got the full GPO 4

Please support Ichigo's Ichigo's Supporter Ichigo's Supporting Member Solaphar's Avatar

I want to re-emphasize some of the things brncao is saying:

I don't know whether Finale would work or not (since I haven't used it), but I do know that a DAW would probably work better, though again, having not seen what mixing options Finale can adjust, I don't really know. Anyway, if I were you, I'd at least balance the instruments, volume-wise in relation to each other, and if necessary, make sure the panning remains correct too, across all instruments. And as pointed out, checking that all the notes fall within the correct ranges as well. That's the bare minimum that you have to do really, to make sure nothing is lost in translating it from the midi. As for the velocity-tweaking, personally, I don't think I'd take the time to do that, as that can take hours to get everything right, even on just a single song/tune. However, if you do skip this step, it won't sound fully human or realistic. So it's a trade-off.

In any case, brncao's right... There's more to it than just running the midi through the samples and calling it done. Gotta range-check and balance, at the very least, to make sure stuff isn't missing, or louder/softer, or in the wrong place, when compared to the midi.

Quote Originally Posted by Equisix
    Nope i got the full GPO 4
    Not sure what you mean by the "full" GPO 4. Just a wild guess, but does that mean you don't have to worry about ranges?
    Last edited by Solaphar; March 22nd, 2011 at 05:42 am.

It means I have the full Garritan Library and not just The Garritan Instruments for finale

I've been thinking about resource sharing, and ultimately the composer has to sacrifice what amounts to the entire arrangement/orchestration of his/her piece.

However, I don't see it as an entirely bad thing, especially for fresh composers with less experience. Established composers might not bother, but if someone who does have a knack for humanization, orchestration (and engineering I suppose) turns out also to be very generous then I don't see what the harm is.

Ichigos Sand Bag Member HopelessComposer's Avatar
    THE GREAT UNITED STATES OF AMERICA! YEAAAAH!!!

Edit: In short, it's stupid to complain about free favors, or to apply "bare minimums" to them.
    Master everybody's songs yourselves if Equsix's efforts offend you.
    Or keep quiet, and go away.

Telling people how to go about doing favors isn't just silly; it's insulting.
    Last edited by HopelessComposer; March 5th, 2011 at 04:51 am. Reason: Don't feel like fighting.

Eh
    I m not xactly a master at using GPO yet
    Just got it
    BUt im sure i can make something sound better than a standard midi

Please support Ichigo's Ichigo's Supporter Ichigo's Supporting Member Solaphar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HopelessComposer View Post
    Edit: In short, it's stupid to complain about free favors, or to apply "bare minimums" to them.
    Master everybody's songs yourselves if Equsix's efforts offend you.
    Or keep quiet, and go away.

Telling people how to go about doing favors isn't just silly; it's insulting.
    Well that's your opinion. Basically, you're being hypocritical in saying people should shut up and not share their opinion, even while you share yours, and you do it in an insulting way. It makes it a bit hard to take you seriously. It's definitely possible to disagree with someone else's opinion without calling them stupid or telling them to keep quiet, and I think you should try it.

Personally, I haven't seen anyone complaining, but if that's how you want to interpret it, I suppose no one can stop you.
    Last edited by Solaphar; March 5th, 2011 at 05:46 am.

Non one likes to be criticized by I tolerate well based arguments backed up with facts

Quote Originally Posted by Equisix
    BUt im sure i can make something sound better than a standard midi
    Yep, I understand that, and I think it's a good intention. My advice was added in order to help you make sure that what you output does indeed sound better than the midi, and that nothing important is lost, like the balance between instruments, as I've mentioned numerous times. I'm trying to help you make it sound as good as possible, but in a way that won't take up too much of your time, like velocity-tweaking would. =)
    Last edited by Solaphar; March 5th, 2011 at 05:47 am.

Right Here, With You Member

Remember we're talking amateur musicians here.

Equisix gets a chance to practice using GPO, and composers get to hear their stuff orchestrated - for fun

Quote Originally Posted by Solaphar View Post
    Well that's your opinion. Basically, you're being hypocritical in saying people should shut up and not share their opinion, even while you share yours, and you do it in an insulting way. It makes it a bit hard to take you seriously. It's definitely possible to disagree with someone else's opinion without calling them stupid or telling them to keep quiet, and I think you should try it.

Personally, I haven't seen anyone complaining, but if that's how you want to interpret it, I suppose no one can stop you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Solaphar View Post

Heheh. I'm not being hypocritical at all. I'm saying you should shut up, not everybody with an opinion. Based on what I've seen of you, your first post in this thread wasn't to help Equisix, but to stroke your own ego. You came in here, with no information to go on, and just decided to assume he was doing everything "wrong," when there can't even be a "wrong" when it comes to free help. Instead of offering to help via PM or something like that, you gave him your usual obnoxious, holier-than-thou speech that you've always been known for on this forum, with, I'm sure, no real plans of helping him even if he needed it.

Were you seriously going to teach him how to professionally mix music?
    Definitely not. Your first post in here wasn't a kindly "let's help people together!" as your bullshit sugar-coating made it out to be.
    It was a simple "I hope you're not doing everything WRONG, LOL. Though I'm sure you are. Don't worry, I'm here to point that out for you!"

You're definitely a bastard, even if you're a sneaky one. And sneaky bastards piss me off a million times more than regular ones do. At first, I thought maybe I was reading you wrong. Then I asked a handful of fellow Ichigoans what they thought of you, and they agreed with my sneaky bastard theory, so now I know it's not just me. So yeah. You try to make your posts look white, but I think they're definitely black. If you're actually a nice guy, then my profuse apologies. Just know that to me (and the people I asked), you're sending some pretty bad vibes.

You're acting like you want to help Equisix with his music with the purest intentions, but I don't think that's the case AT ALL. And that's why I'm angry at you.

And that is why I told you to shut up. = \
    Remember we're talking amateur musicians here.

Equisix gets a chance to practice using GPO, and composers get to hear their stuff orchestrated - for fun
    He fucking knows that already. And that's the only reason he posted in here, because he KNEW Equisix wasn't fulfilling the arbitrary requirements he was setting for him.
    And you're a smart guy, so I'm going to say you KNEW he knew.
    My guess is if you weren't such a coolheaded guy too, your response would've been closer to mine.

Anyway, sorry for fighting in your thread Equisix. I hope someone decides to use your services.
    Last edited by HopelessComposer; March 5th, 2011 at 06:23 am. Reason: feh.

Right Here, With You Member

HCxSolaphar bff

Forever and ever.

Thread Information