I have a keyboard (musical instrument) and I have just recently hooked up a MIDI cable with it going out from keyboard in(to) computer, and I need a good program I can download for free so that I may hear the notes from my keyboard on my computer speakers. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Visit www.mediashrine.com
    For anime, music, programming tutorials, articles, hacking games, and lots more!!!

You may request sheet music for ANY anime here(and yes, it will most likely be fufilled)

Moderately moderating Member Noir7's Avatar

If you're either rich or illegal, you could get Sonar 3..

What kind of computer do you have OS-wise?
    Your Current Signature Picture
    Going where Angels fear to tread...

Windows XP Home Edition
    For anime, music, programming tutorials, articles, hacking games, and lots more!!!

You may request sheet music for ANY anime here(and yes, it will most likely be fufilled)

any decent midi program would do. heck, i know musictime (which is really crappy) does it.
    Manga-Mania

- Love is a sin...
    - Happiness is found only in dreams...
    - Wisdom comes not with age, but maturity.
    - PATIENCE, n. A minor form of despair, disguised as a virtue.
    - People in the computer industry use the term "user", which to them means "dimwit".

You can use Finale too, but it sucks serious butt.

I have Audacity, but I can't seem to figure that out... Rather then crappy ones, anyone have any names of ANY ones, that are at least decent?

I'm not very sure but I think Anvil Studio might do the job

http://www.download.com/Anvil-Studio/3000-...tml?tag=lst-0-1

Anvil Studio is a program for multitrack recording, composing, and editing of music using digital audio, MIDI, and sampled percussion sounds. Audio effects include delay, pitch change, volume change, filtering, and reverse. Anvil Studio is designed for people who want to perform music with MIDI equipment, or record and edit music with MIDI and audio equipment or with a computer and sound card.

This free version allows you to record and edit a single stereo or mono one-minute audio track, and create unlimited MIDI tracks. Optional accessories allow you to record and mix up to eight stereo/mono audio tracks, and more. Anvil Studio now provides a grid to the staff editor, an on-screen guitar fretboard or piano input, support for nested loops in rhythm and piano roll editors, and native EQ.

My Finale PrintMusic! 2002 recommends one called FreeMIDI. Remember, Google is your friend...
    Your Current Signature Picture
    Going where Angels fear to tread...

Thanks for the help, guys! I did note one problem was that I apparently connected it to my joystick in port on the computer :sweatdrop: I'm still digging around for a place to stick it in

Originally posted by Nightmare@Nov 28 2004, 06:59 AM
    Thanks for the help, guys! I did note one problem was that I apparently connected it to my joystick in port on the computer :sweatdrop: I'm still digging around for a place to stick it in
    that's where it's supposed to go joystick and midi share the same port

Also, if you have two MIDI cables (OUT & IN) you'll just be needing the Midi OUT I think, so don't bother looking for more ports for the MIDI IN.

Originally posted by Gand@Nov 28 2004, 04:53 PM
    that's where it's supposed to go joystick and midi share the same port
    Interesting, I hooked it up to the joystick port, and yet it said it wasn't connected. I'll try other programs, I guess :/

i seem to recall that you need a sound card that supports midi-in...?
    Manga-Mania

- Love is a sin...
    - Happiness is found only in dreams...
    - Wisdom comes not with age, but maturity.
    - PATIENCE, n. A minor form of despair, disguised as a virtue.
    - People in the computer industry use the term "user", which to them means "dimwit".

Anvil Studio works really well. I use it.
    Because fate is bittersweet and memories never die because they can only fade, I am myself and nothing more

Thread Information