Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stefan's Music

Wootzors! Member

Okay, I've been lurking around here for quite some time now listening to your compositions (dang. you guys are good. ) and I've finally worked up the courage to throw in some of mine. (easy on me, please. I'm not exactly all that confident with my output. )

First, a little background on meself. I play the piano, been playing for several years now and still going. I started composing when I was about 11 or 12, and over the years I've worked real hard for improvement.

Though right now I have no big problems when it comes to composing itself, but after I start on one piece, I never seem to be able to keep my motivation. Thus, I rarely ever get to finish anything, even though I have hundreds of drafts going on.

Any advice here?

Anyway, here's a little piano solo I wrote a few months ago, inspired by a Flash movie made by an OL friend. The idea is probably already overused and worn out, but I sure enjoyed writing it.

Wootzors! Member

Now, here is a waltz that got stuck in miserable incompletion, supposedly the third movement of some piano(?) concerto gone wrong. (a waltz for a third movement, yes. I originally wanted a scherzo, but what the hey) Surprisingly though, it turned out quite well. So far. (I think. )

From now on, I don't want you to doubt your talent, because you're good! Your piano solo, despite the "overused idea" as you put it, is still original to you and your style. Nicely done, you've got the right feeling for how to compose.

The fact that you were confused about the waltz/scherzo/3rd movement of a piano concerto really shows =P Other than that, it did turn out well. Like, the music itself is fine, it's just that you didn't know what to do with it, hehe.

Destroy All Pink Monkeys! Member yellowmonkey121's Avatar

i really enjoyed the first one. i wish i can compose something like that. the second one is definately something people can dance to. i mean.. thats what waltz is right.. keep up the good work.

Wootzors! Member

Wow. I'm glad you liked 'em, because personally I had some doubts. heh.

Thanks.

Anyway, if you would just allow me some time to dig up through my old files, so I can look for something decent I'm ready to share. Like I said, most of them are unfinished.

ahhhhh! To think that I'm not alone with this problem!!! YAY! *chrm chrm*
    anyways very nice compositions like the first one a little bit better, though the orchestration of the second one is very well done Keep up the good work!
    Science is organized knowledge. Wisdom is organized life. - Immanuel Kant
    >Your escape to reality<

Wootzors! Member

This here came to me one day and I wrote it instantly. It&#39;s actually my first orchestral piece EVER, and sure, it may have a lot of flaws: the orchestration&#39;s all messed-up and there aren&#39;t any dynamics (better turn the volume down), but I like the overall theme.

I&#39;m working on fixing it up, but it may take a while.

Whee, Gand's me hubby! :D Member Madmazda86's Avatar

Heehee, this reminds me of those extracts in movies where everything is speeded up and everyone walks hyper-fast and they have this kind of music to go in it I like it, though it is a bit orchestra-on-fast-forwardish (too much caffiene ) I think it&#39;d sound an insy bit better if you slowed the tempo down

RP ADVERTISING BANNER COMPETITION - Enter now, great GP/EXP prizes available! (RP players only)
    Lost the plot in the RP? Check out the Story So Far to find out what's going on in the main plot! <--This Link Now Works!
    My Artwork - UPDATED 19/02/06

Wootzors! Member

About that piano(?) concerto gone wrong I mentioned earlier...

Here it is.

Original intention was a long one-movement piece with several distinct sections (a rhapsody?), but this whole concerto idea came out instead. Then again, I think it would be proper to put them all back together, since the movements rely heavily on each other... something similar to Franz Liszt&#39;s piano concerto in E-flat.

WARNING: this piece is as free as it gets. As a result, it may sound really... strange at times. There is no distinct form, the music wanders off from key to key, it doesn&#39;t follow any strict rules whatsoever, and you may not like it at all. But I do. (some good lines manage to pop out every now and then)

1st movement... (or section, whatever)

Wootzors! Member

Originally posted by madmazda86@Dec 11 2004, 05:34 AM
    Heehee, this reminds me of those extracts in movies where everything is speeded up and everyone walks hyper-fast and they have this kind of music to go in it I like it, though it is a bit orchestra-on-fast-forwardish (too much caffiene ) I think it&#39;d sound an insy bit better if you slowed the tempo down
    Oh. Thanks for listening.

The 2nd movement... some parts of it smell of parody.

Originally posted by Stefan@Dec 11 2004, 03:42 PM
    Oh. Thanks for listening.
    Hey, don&#39;t get disheartened - the orchestration and the actual music is brilliant, just I think I&#39;d be a bit less if it wasn&#39;t so hyperactive You&#39;ve got some really nice passages in there and it&#39;d be nice to slow them down a wee bit so the listener can get the full pleasure out of them&#33;

RP ADVERTISING BANNER COMPETITION - Enter now, great GP/EXP prizes available! (RP players only)
    Lost the plot in the RP? Check out the Story So Far to find out what's going on in the main plot! <--This Link Now Works!

Wootzors! Member

Originally posted by madmazda86@Dec 11 2004, 07:53 AM
    Hey, don&#39;t get disheartened - the orchestration and the actual music is brilliant, just I think I&#39;d be a bit less if it wasn&#39;t so hyperactive You&#39;ve got some really nice passages in there and it&#39;d be nice to slow them down a wee bit so the listener can get the full pleasure out of them&#33;
    Gah. You misunderstand. I wasn&#39;t disheartened at all.

A tad too fast, eh? Don&#39;t worry, I&#39;m fixing it up... along with the terrible orchestration.

Thanks for pointing that out. And don&#39;t be afraid to shove comments down my throat, I&#39;m pretty much immune to criticism.

Ah, but you said you weren&#39;t confident with your output, and I&#39;m crazy enough anyway to make people run away I tend to be a bit too blunt sometimes

Wootzors! Member

Originally posted by madmazda86@Dec 11 2004, 08:01 AM
    Ah, but you said you weren&#39;t confident with your output, and I&#39;m crazy enough anyway to make people run away I tend to be a bit too blunt sometimes
    I only said that to make sure. I take it back now. (no, wait... I&#39;m not sure. )

BTW, anyone know how I can make mp3s? MIDI suxxorz.

Heh, it&#39;s pretty horrible, isn&#39;t it Get hold of a MIDI to WAV converter and then get hold of Acoustica MP3 Audio Mixer to convert WAV to MP3 - that&#39;s what I&#39;m attempting to do. You&#39;re better off getting professional software, though - Finale 2004 or Sibelius will do the trick&#33;

Thread Information