View Poll Results: Who will win this Christmas competition?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • One Winged

3 14.29%
  • ajamesu

0 0%
  • KaitouKudou

1 4.76%
  • Maestrosetti

1 4.76%
  • Sir_Dotdotdot

12 57.14%
  • Deathraider

1 4.76%
  • Matt

3 14.29%
  • hofodomo01

0 0%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CCCC [RESULTS]

Moderately moderating Member Noir7's Avatar

Default CCCC [RESULTS]

CCCC VOTING

1) Voting is made public, everyone can see whom you voted for.
    2) You may only vote for one entry. Creating multiple accounts for voting will get you banned. Probably.
    3) Something I'll think of later.
    4) When voting, it is preferred if you leave comments at least about the entry which you're voting for. Giving the other entries comments as well will give you an additional +5 cool points.

REWARD FOR WINNING: Your composition will be uploaded on Ichigo's Main Site for public display, as well as a direct link to your thread here on the forums.

------------------------------------------------------------------

One Winged's Hysterico

ajamesu's Christmas Twilight

KaitouKuduo's Christmas

Maestrosetti's Yuletide_Waltz

SirDotdotdot's Christmas Suite 2nd Mvt. "Pastorale"

Deathraider's Lux Aeterna

Matt's Christmas

hofodomo01's A Breath of Snow

------------------------------------------------------------------

King of Noodles Member Maestrosetti's Avatar

Hysterico: Well, it certainly fit the mood, and I liked that minor section quite a bit. Reminded me of Home Alone a little. There's just a small problem (and I mean that quite literally!) and that is that it's incredibly short! Also a teensy bit corny for my ears. Good job overall, though.

Christmas Twilight: First of all, on this one I'd like to say: nice instrumentation. I love the way you blended those instruments together. Very good for what it says it is; I can picture Christmas night very easily. About 3/4 through, however, I kind of grew tired of that mood. I think you may have been stretching it a bit. Despite that, I liked this one a lot. Nice work.

Christmas: (KaitouKuduo) Sheesh, could you turn up the volume on that a bit? When it opened I thought I was going to be treated to something like In the Hall of the Mountain King. Oh well...anyway, um...nice tambourine. Why is it all these that I've heard sound like they can be a town theme in an RPG? Quite a happy song; it was over before I knew it. Quite whimsical and all that, and good for a light listen (especially pleasant for me since I just woke up). I like it.

Yuletide Waltz: I abhore you. This joke isn't old.

Christmas Suite 2nd Mvt. "Pastorale": Reminded me of an acid trip at first. You were right when you said it was atmospheric. And nice percussion, too. And frankly, I don't know what you were talking about. It's probably more polished than mine. Very charming and well orchestrated. Very good job.

Lux Aeterna: Aw...another short one. Yeah, I could see this in a Requiem. Just not sure what this has to do with Christmas, to be honest. What is the spirit of Christmas? Anyway, me likey. I'd love to hear that sung.

Christmas: (Matt) Oh, a piano piece. But once again, I'm not feeling as much Christmas as I'd expect. Very touching. Nice dynamics and feel. And it did get more festive torwards the end. Cute little piece.

A Breath of Snow: Eek! The whole MegaUpload thing scared me. I was afraid I wouldn't be able to view it. On to the song. Well, that sounded very Medieval! Lots of dissonance too, although it sounds a bit accidental...I also think it could have used a mood change or something; listening to the same sort of stuff for almost six minutes isn't totally engaging. It was pretty good. Just try to sort things out a little more next time.

Everything considered, all these pieces were excellent, which is why is was hard choosing a winner. But, my vote goes to SirDotdotdot for a job well done!
    Bahahaha, but seriously, I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Firstly, I'd say all these entries were very well done and there's a lot of effort in them.

~~~

OneWinged's Hysterico

It sounds like a fancy overture for a Christmas medley. The traditional Christmas feel is definitely there. The bells gave it an extra Christmassy quality to it. Though, I'd liked it to have more of a contrast in the middle section rather than a minor part, because the 'structure' was a little too same throughout. It's nice, simple and clean.

Sounds like something you'd hear in a Christmas dinner at church or something. I agree Maestrosetti's comment about the sameness throughout. I hear a lot of effort put into this piece, and it's quite nice if it was a children piece. Hmm... But I thought the last note could've ended better if the flute played the tonic note, cos ending it on the third gave it a little sense of incompletion in a Christmas piece. But well done nonetheless!

KK's Christmas

The opening was interesting, though I thought the tambourine part could've been made a little more interesting. I liked when the glockenspiel doubled the pizzicato, it gave a very sweet quality to the piece. Though, I felt that you could've done more orchestration work when the instruments were playing melody, like more countermelodies or more percussions (don't be afraid to go a little complex sometimes!). 1:23 was nice, although the note in 1:33 was a little strange. The parts after that were quite playful and fun. The grand part near the end was nice too, but perhaps make it more dramatic would be a good idea? Oh, and I find the last note a little unnecessary, as I felt that you want to keep the grand ending feeling. Overall, it's a very nice piece, though I felt you can have done a little more with it.

Maestrosetti's Yuletide Waltz

Oh my, the opening was so beautifully warm. But I found your samples a little synthy, so it was a little draggy. When the lower strings play the melody, I thought the high strings were playing a little too loud. Your harp runs, cymbal rolls were put in the perfect spots. Like you mentioned, the ending was a little weird because you originally wanted to continue it. I don't really see much of a problem with the ending except that you could've let the sleigh bells play a little longer and let it fade sloooooowly. I really like this piece.

It's quite a meditative piece overall, and it's a good thing for Christmas in religious setting. Though, it being part of a requiem was a tiny bit unfitting for the Christmas setting. I like these kinds of pieces, but I felt that it moved a little too fast for its style. I felt that you could've done something at the 1:09 point instead of pausing then end it. Good job.

Matt's Christmas

It's definitely a sweet piece with a lot of expression. The Matt style is there like all your other pieces, which shows that you have your own unique style. Though, the part at 0:06 (which shows up again somewhere in the piece) was a little surprising that it was in a major chord because I anticipated that it would be a minor chord. It's a nice piece overall. It's simple, sweet and melodious.

The opening was fine and Irish/Celtic-ish. When the brass, saxes and low winds came in, it was a little messy; it seems like you didn't know what your instruments wanted to do and they seem to be a little loud and messy. I also looked at your score. You like to torture low instruments don't you? The euphonium and baritone sax parts had many out of range places, so that's not good. If you want the euphonium sound but want to keep it at the same range, let the french horn replace it. Oh, and the tempo is also unfitting for this piece, it's too slow. The chording and orchestration throughout the piece kind of disappoint me as it interfered with your original idea and made everything all draggy and honky. But the melody ideas are nice though. I liked the clarinet solo after the pause. The abrupt cut after bar 71 on the flute and high winds were a little unclean too. The ending could've also used some percussions.

~~~

Hm... It's a tough choice on who to vote for. They all have their own unique attributes, whether it's traditionally themed or not. I think my vote goes to... Maestrosetti's Yuletide Waltz. The reason for that is because it does not just have the quality of being a Christmas piece, but also new ideas and different sounds that jumps out of the usual. The other entries were also very nice, and technically correct, but sometimes we all should create or invent new sounds and styles instead of using old ideas to make music.
    I play the English horn.

I voted for One Winged's Hysterico.

One Winged: Very good at establishing the Christmas Theme, one of the few here that I actually heard christmas in. Maybe its the bass that attracted me to your song but yeah, I liked it.

Ajamesu: Ahh yes, this wonderful song. See, you would have had my vote if I could actually hear chrstimas in this. It has a very nice melody and possibly one of the best compositions you've ever composed but since this is a christmas composition cotest and I gotta judge based on the theme build I couldn't give you the vote.

KK: What kind of crap is this. Just horrible, horrible!

Maestrosetti: The Opening was a bit too mushy. When the melody came in, it had a nice full feeling to it with the counter melody in brass. I think you overdone it a bit in places and it made it lose some clarity. I can sort of hear christmas in this, especially the sleighbells at the very very end.

Sir "...": You didn't get my vote simply based on my preference to a happier song. I would have chosen you for second place in a split second. It's a very good interpretation of christmas and also at a whole different perspective. You was undecided between you and One Winged for a LONG time because they were really equally good. I just prefered the cheerful one.

Deathraider: It started very nice but then, the problems came in. Awkward voice doubling and unnatural or parallel note movements within the voices. It's good though and I know how hard voice music can be to write so good job.

Matt: Slightly classic, slightly modern, a very good piano piece. I just don't hear christmas in it and thats what turned me away from voting for yours.

Hofodomo: I think the timpani or w/e drum you used at the start just threw the christmas theme out. It made this music sound more like a movie theme for LOTR or something like that. The harmony was good but the melody needed work in certain places. Sounded okay, keep at it!

KING OF THE CHOIR Member deathraider's Avatar

Kaitoukuduo, that sounded very much like you were calling me a noob! Oh well, I forgive you.

I can't listen to hofodomo01's for some reason. Any help?

Performance by USU Chamber Singers: O Nata Lux
    Recording by members of the U of Utah Singers: Breath Eternal
    Performance by USU Chamber Singers:Gaudete omnes
    http://www.youtube.com/user/mrmcdoodles

No point saying what has been said already, so have a summary of my oppinions. Some are good, others are very good.
    One Winged's Hysterico I liked this one a lot but towards the end it reminded me of tetris

ajamesu's Christmas Twilight This would work well in the game Maple Story

KaitouKuduo's Christmas Although quiet id does sound like christmas, but it sounds to simmilar to another tune

Maestrosetti's Yuletide_Waltz This sounds like christmas with ball room dancing, wich to me seems like a good thing as christmas is obout getting together and all that

SirDotdotdot's Christmas Suite 2nd Mvt. "Pastorale" this reminded me of walking into a dark cold cave in the middle of the night

Deathraider's Lux Aeterna This seemed dull or depressing, in my oppinion you failed

Matt's Christmas This sounded simple, This is how Christmas tunes should be so that begginer players can learn the tune

hofodomo01's A Breath of Snow I cannot seem to play this so

inter to the course Member hofodomo01's Avatar

One Winged's Hysterico
    This one is pretty good. Managed to keep it nice and fun, yet managed not to go overboard (it's tempting).

As a whole, it comes as a nice package. Good ideas, and it's simple enough to enjoy. Personally, I would've preferred some thicker sound in certain areas.

KaitouKuduo's Christmas
    Very good use of different instruments...it created a very nice and warm feeling. I found it a bit more difficult to really "listen in" and follow this one than the others, though.

Made me wanna techno rave, for some reason. Except there's no techno...
    It's short and sweet, and works really well. Only gripe I have with this is that the high strings get a little tiring after a while.

Very nice and effective use of ambient sounds to generate effect. The beginning was the best part for me. The entire thing fit together very well...can't really find any non-personal preference related problems.

Your music reminded me a little of Lux Aurumque by Eric Whitacre (hey, even similar titles ). I really like how you just meander the sounds around, the textures just melt from one to the other. I was kinda looking for a climax, but oh well. Only downside: shorter that I would've liked.

Matt's Christmas
    The piano sounds nice...I felt the changes in mood could be handled just a tad better, put it's pretty nice as it is. Good work.

===========================
    Seems like a lot of people used the tambourines...well Deathraider didn't so Lux get's my vote. Christmas theme really isn't a part of the voting guidelines anyways...
    >>My MP3s<< **NOW UPDATED 12/09**

Lizzle-sama Productions|Animepaper.net
    *click click* Four-five tear you out the frame...

Quote Originally Posted by HanTony View Post

KaitouKuduo's Christmas Although quiet id does sound like christmas, but it sounds to simmilar to another tune
    Are you claiming me of plasurism?

Quote Originally Posted by KaitouKudou View Post
    Are you claiming me of plasurism?
    yes, i'm no musician myself but the tone and rythem are very similar to another song. But it is still good.

I take that very offensively. Send me a link to that song and let me hear it. If there is a similarity then I assure you that it is by accident.It's not a really good thing to see someone claiming you're copying another person's work. All my work are originals which I've spent days working on. In fact, the very first version of that song is posted on my thread and the changes were made specifically based on the criticisms I received on the song to produce this final version I submited to the contest.

Since you answered yes, I would like to hear this song you say I copied from.

If you think there is only a similarity then do not claim me for plasurism, they are completely different and the latter is VERY offensive. Plasurism means exactly the same given the freedom of instrumental arrangment.
    Last edited by KaitouKudou; December 23rd, 2006 at 10:01 pm.

Maybe the original is what i'm thinking of, i don't mean offence but i was able to hum the tune within a few seconds of it starting, which means its similar to somthing or very monotonious.

Quote Originally Posted by HanTony View Post
    Maybe the original is what i'm thinking of, i don't mean offence but i was able to hum the tune within a few seconds of it starting, which means its similar to somthing or very monotonious.
    "OMG, I think it reminds me of something, therefore it must be plagiarized!"

Ridiculous?

Believe and achieve. :] Member ajamesu's Avatar

First, my comments...

----------

One Winged's Hysterico
    Short, but very cute! I heard the "shopping in frenzy" part, and I liked the minor ending. Good job!

Wow, you get my vote!

Psh, I don't know why everyone's calling my song RPG-ish But I get how you're calling it monotonous, the minor part seemed monotonous, but I was too lazy to crop it (too much work )

KaitouKudou's Christmas
    Actually, this does sound familiar, but it's wrong to accuse you of plagiarism because that "C-B-A-G" pattern in the pizzicato strings in the background and the notes and patterns of the glockenspiel in the beginning is used in many Christmas songs As for the actual song, it reminded me of riding through the snow with "a one-horse open sleigh," (lolz) and I could see the snow falling. The opening at 2:10 was nice, but I think the use of wind chimes the second time was a little too much. As people have said, the tambourine opening needs a more memborable rhythm. Other than that, good job!

Very waltzlike and dreamy, but I think the sleigh bells were just a tad bit too strong and ruined the atmosphere a little. I don't know what to say, it was such a happy piece (it made me smile )! Good job!

Everything was so sudden, but I liked that, it reminded me of walking through a forest on a snowy night, and just suddenly stopping to admire the beauty... Some of the woodblock rhythms didn't seem to fit in, though... Good job!

Very fluid song, could've used a contrasting section if it was a Christmas song, but this was for a Requiem, right? More points if it went with the theme a little more... I get what you're saying about the spirit of Christmas, and in a way, it seemed fitting. This actually sounds better with strings than with a choir, imo. I didn't think it was short, it was a good size. It needed a piano at around 0:28 (at least, that's what it felt like). The ending was very fitting Good job!

Matt's Christmas
    Ooh, nice opening statement Pretty and simple, but very enjoyable I can imagine this playing in the background while a family opens their presents I thought it was too short, but that's the only downside. Good job!

This sounds a little RPG-ish to me, I didn't envision a breath of snow, it sounded more like a poor family plodding in a blizzard There weren't any memorable melodies, either, and it seems to be cut short... Other than that, good job!

----------

Now, the announcement of who gets my vote.

I vote for KK's Christmas because the image produced was strong and clear, and the orchestration went very well. Keep up the good work!

A lonely soul . . . an ocean soul . . .

Believe and achieve. :] Member ajamesu's Avatar

Oh, and in response to HanTony, most songs repeat a given part throughout the song. If they didn't, it would seem confusing (unless you use it well). Also, it could be that the song was so good, the song got stuck in your head. Or, if you were able to hum along with it, then it could be that the song has a good sense of direction.

A lonely soul . . . an ocean soul . . .

^ You voted for yourself lol [accident? KK and you are adjacent]

Thread Information