Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Mazeppa's Compositions

Mazeppa's Composition Thread

Genre(s) / Era(s) - Neo/Romantic, Impressionistic and Jazz

Instrument(s) - Piano, String Quartets, Concerti, Symphonic

Currently Composing - N/a

Influences / Autobiography - I got into music (in general) when I first listened to Beethoven's "Moonlight Sonata" by Horowitz. I started to feel emotions that I have never felt before, and it through me into a state that I had never gone to before-I noticed, right away, that this was the feeling of a "passion" (something that you love, in my definition). When the III Mvt. started, I was in a state of complete infatuation, which was a different infatuation that you get from another person (relating to love, of course). This state was something that (from that moment on) that I wanted to engulf myself into and continue this passion that was opened to me through that piece of music-this basically had my influences towards piano, and composing for it. Overtime, I took lessons for piano, and I soon started to compose-and hey, I found Ichigo's right around that time! As many people know on Ichigo's, I started out just as any other newbie, but I still had that grasp on music from my piano playing, and I kept on pursuing my ambition of a composer. I continued to write down ideas, and eventually wrote and arranged a piece for my 8th Grade Band with me on Piano. Last summer I wanted to study music, but I couldn't so I just started to experiment with progressions and music in the style of the Romantics-which eventually made me one. After months of a composer block, I started listening to Impressionistic music, and that also had a large effect on my composition, and broke me out of the block, but just enough to write down ideas and such. Now, I am taking private lessons from whom he could be considered the best in the country. I am now seeing how theory and music intertwine and now I can envision orchestration already, even though we haven't gotten that far, yet. Most of my influences in my music show: Chopin, Liszt, Grieg, Debussy, Kondo, Beethoven, Hisaishi and Ravel, and my Jazz is usually original, but I have a lot of influence from Keith Jarret's original jazz as well.

No. of Years Studying/Composing - 2 Years (Composing) ; 1.5 months (Studying)

Goal(s) - Composer

Compositions -
    Prelude in Ab [Impromptu]

~~~

I'm finally back in action!

I'll just get down into it :

This is an impromptu piece (Prelude in Ab) that I've made tonight. It looks kinda primitive as it is, but that's just because my Finale got laggy and I couldn't make it look very tidy. So, I hope you all like it; it's one of my favourites. (I also included a .pdf of the score if any of you want to play it!)
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Milchh; August 12th, 2007 at 11:54 pm. Reason: Update

Milchh's Transcription & Arrangement Request Thread!

Repertoire
    Bach: Prelude and Fugue in Bb minor, WTK Bk. II
    Schubert: Piano Sonata in A minor, D. 845 Op. 42
    Satie: Desiccated Embryos
    Debussy: Étude No. 1, 'pour les cinq doigts' L. 136
    Prokofiev: Piano Sonata No. 7 in Bb Major, Op. 83
    Rachmaninoff: Piano Concerto No. 1 in F# minor, Op. 1

making a comeback! Member kitty9's Avatar

as usual ...you are the best...can't say anything....

The midi just doesn't do this justice. I can't properly critique this, as I am more of a layman than a knowledgable musician, but here is my opinion.

:00-:30
    I like the progression, rythym and melody. I did feel like there should have been more of an intro though. It felt like the song started too suddenly.

:38-1:04
    Not much to say except that I like the chords from "58 to 1:04. It made for a nice transition. I did feel that the bass was getting a little repetitive though.

1:05-1:22
    I half expected a contrasting section here. Or maybe the same melody, but an arpeggiated, rolling-like bass to add some variety. Maybe it's just my untrained ears, but the bass is starting to get a little repetitive.

1:23-End
    I liked how you built up to the end, and the rolling chord at about 1:30. The end was fine, but my ear was expecting a different chord at 1:40.

Well, that's all I have to say. I can't really say I know what I'm talking about, though, as I don't have much experience with classical music. Anyway, I liked it a lot. Good job!
    Last edited by BlazingDragon; June 26th, 2007 at 03:07 pm.

I hear a lot of Liszt. Stylistically speaking, it's wonderful in my opinion (but I'm not the one to say if it's perfect, since I am not a romantic-influenced person). I felt that you could've used some more variation with the bass rhythm. It'd be nice if it was in a polonaise form too, since it's I hear the energy for that. In the opening, when it says ped. you can change it to con pedale, just for your information. I can't say much more... But yeah...
    I play the English horn.

Alright, thanks for the critiques (so far, I hope).

@BlazingDragon- Yeah, I would have guessed someone could say to add more sections. .mainly make it a 'full' piece; this is a prelude, which is my favourite form, and it's perfect for making 'easy' compositions to post on Ichigo's. Unless I'm sure I want to, I'll post bigger production pieces. And yes, the repeditivness comes from the MIDI/Computer Playing it. . .maybe I should add a legato here and there, since it isn't supposted to be played that boistersly (the moving parts).

@Sir- Yes! Liszt is a big influence. Thanks for taking the time to just give a opinion on such a short piece.

The next one may also be a prelude, but I'm doing to start on a 'Liszt-Form' Sonata possibly.

Repertoire

Bass needs to be variated a bit, accidentals and chords are used well .

Thanks, Eternal for the set!
    For any Finale questions, please look here before posting.
    I am no longer dealing with MIDI transcriptions due to lack of time.

Forum newbie comment here.....Very beautiful...I think it is one of the best I have heard so far on this site, because it seems like you know what you want to do with your music and then you just do it well. Nothing sounds forced at all. Great stuff.

PS ~ If someone could be so kind to make this piece a nice sounding .mp3 would be great!
    http://www.mediafire.com/?axxagun31nk
    (turn volume up)

Thanks for the comments you two. Thanks for the .mp3 as well (Uploaded)

Repertoire

i really like this piece =] can definately see the Lisztian influence

i agree with clarinetist that the accompaniment would benefit from more variation, but to be fair you say in your first post that it was an impromptu so im sure as you play it to yourself more you will be hit with ideas of developing this further; i mean Liszt himself wrote three or four versions of some of his pieces (Mazeppa being one of them) before reaching the ones you hear today.

but like i said this prelude is lovely- i am going to print the pdf and learn it =]
    1/4 of the IRC Pyro Quartet

<Gekkeiju> I doubt sperm would taste good on your cereal=]

Currently practicing
    Various things, totally smitten with Albeniz's Iberia suite

My favourite part was in bar 46 when the right hand melody switched to eighth notes. There is potential in this piece. I can see you easily extending the minor section.

I like it, however, I have some minor critique. The beats and style by which you played the chord progressions seems unnecessarily ridged. It reminded me of the soundtrac you might hear to an ancient performer hand-and-stick sort of act. Despite this, your chord progressions remind me of a black church chorus sort of thing =D, this being a compliment. In that sense, try to be more free with your playing. Experiment using chromatic triplets to build to your powerful chords, and then playing with those chords in suspension instead of locking them into your grid of beats =D. Nice work.

KING OF THE CHOIR Member deathraider's Avatar

Definitely loved the grand, romantic feel of the piece. Reminds me of some of the music in the musical I went and saw last night (It was called "12 Dancing Princesses", hehehe). I would suggest slowing it down a tad, and maybe adding another section with a different style of bass, making an ABACA rondo form.

Performance by USU Chamber Singers: O Nata Lux
    Recording by members of the U of Utah Singers: Breath Eternal
    Performance by USU Chamber Singers:Gaudete omnes
    http://www.youtube.com/user/mrmcdoodles

Thanks for the comments! I'm glad that the people who've listened/commented enjoy this piece. When I get some time I'm thinking about making this more of a larger-scale piece.. maybe.

New Composition coming within the next week.

EDIT-

@Poozer- I don't really get what you mean how everything was 'ridgid' beats. I had Dotted 8th Notes which make this piece has a little more pop. Also, the style of this piece was to be as written (so far) and a lot of chomatic triplets would really mess up the style of this piece. Thanks for the concern and suggestions, but I think my composition's style (Consisting of Neo-Romantic, Impressionests, 20th Century) wouldn't fit them. . .
    Last edited by Milchh; June 28th, 2007 at 07:34 pm.

Repertoire

Transcriber Extraordinar Moderator PorscheGTIII's Avatar

Yeah, I think it's great!

In a way I agree with what has been said that the bass is repetitive, but in another way I have to disagree. In the small picture, if that's all that was to be played it would be repetitive, but I feel, since it's a prelude, that it work just fine because the other sections will carry across a different bass. I feel the bass is vital for this prelude so I would suggest no change to it.

I can't wait to hear the rest!
    CLICK ME!

Check out my transcribing status and future transcribing projects HERE!

M: BELIEVE IN THE HEART OF THE LOLICON!

Moderately moderating Member Noir7's Avatar

I agree with Al, there's potential in the piece. I like most of you compositions, they all share the same red thread so to say, there's always some element in them which I can connect to and remember. Keep it up.

Thread Information